What is PHP? PHP language characteristics
PHP is known as Hypertext Pre-processor and the open-source and scripting language for web app development and was initially known as "Personal Home Page."
PHP’s structure is similar to the C language and was created by Rasmus Lerdorf and first appeared in 1995.
Currently, PHP has been used widely for web app development and has become one of the primary languages for programmers to build new apps.
1. Eight PHP’s characteristics
- PHP is simple and easy to use.
- PHP will be more secured with the addition of frameworks.
- It is more familiar to the developers and offers online support to beginners.
- PHP can integrate flexibly with other languages.
- PHP is open-source and free.
- PHP is light and has pre-frameworks for website programming.
- PHP helps the website development process quicker.
2. What can PHP applications do?
PHP has been used widely for web apps and other apps on the domains with those above features and components.
Some PHP’s applications are listed below:
- Content management system development
- Apps based on the website development
- Websites or e-commerces
- Data analytics and illustration
- Images processing
- UI design
- Flash’s functions development
- Graphic design
- Apps development for small businesses
- Data transfer
- Small video games development
PHP can apply to several industries, but it still has pros and cons.
3. PHP’s pros and cons
Everything always has pros and cons, and programming languages, especially PHP, is no exception.
3.1. PHP’s pros
- The most important pro is open-source and free, which can download anytime and be ready for website development.
- It's an independent platform. Apps based on PHP can run on every operating system like UNIX, Linus and Windows, etc.
- Apps based on PHP can easily download and connect with databases. It’s essentially used because the load speed is faster than slow Internet, and in some circumstances, PHP speed is higher than other languages.
- PHP is understandable for beginners and easy to use, and simple. If a programmer knows basically C programming, they can easily work with PHP.
- It’s more stable than several years before with the help of providing continual different versions. From version 5 above, PHP has supported OOP Object-oriented programming.
- PHP has supported powerful libraries to modularize functions for data representations easily.
- Modules connecting with databases are pre-integrated in PHP, which reduces time and efforts for website development.
- The release of PHP version 8 brings faster speed.
PHP has multiple pros and cons (The best technology is used to solve the right problem. And of course, for different problems, there are different technologies.
3.2. PHP’s cons
- PHP isn’t as secure as other languages, so the project needs to promote security and shouldn't use PHP.
- PHP isn’t suitable for web apps that need to handle huge contents.
- PHP is a Weak type (not as tight as Java), which leads to incorrect information and data for users.
- Using PHP Frameworks needs to learn Built-in Function (functions are pre-integrated in PHP) to avoid rewriting the function a second time.
- Using PHP Frameworks’ functions can cause poor performance.
4. Nine main PHP’s components
Now we will continue with PHP’s main components
4.1. MVC Architecture
PHP mainly operates on the architecture module for code management and Model, View, and Controller files separation.
It can easily connect with the database and make changes without affecting other files or modules.
PHP has many different Frameworks such as Aura, Yii, Symfony, Laravel and Zend. Frameworks make source code neat and clean, manageable and help programmers work easily.
4.3. Web Server
PHP mainly works on webserver software and is used by Apache server.
PHP can be used with any database, but it’s mainly used with MySQL.
4.5. PHP Parser
Parser analyzes PHP syntaxes to HTML and sends them to the website to show content.
In this article, components are already to implement search form with PHP auto-suggest feature and MySQL database.
In PHP, Filters are used to identify data. Filters examine the valid input that is sent to avoid security problems and unexpected errors.
4.8. System Functions
In PHP, system functions are performed to open files. It also helps create, read and write files.
4.9. Handle forms
In PHP, forms are processed, and data can be retrieved from files, saved data, emailed, and data returned to the user.
PHP can encrypt data, access and set cookies. With the help of PHP, programmers can limit users from accessing websites.
PHP is a scripting language and used widely for web app development.
PHP is extremely suitable for beginners who want to develop small apps without money to use paid tools.
Moreover, due to its simplicity, PHP is easy to learn and work with. Consider picking PHP first if you don't want to spend a lot of time learning.
We, “Hachinet Software,” are Vietnam-based software services with dedicated, dynamic, enthusiastic teams who always have made efforts to please customers’ and partners’ satisfaction. We specialize in the followings:
- Web application (.NET, JAVA, PHP, etc.)
- Framework (ASP, MVC, AngularJS, Angular6, Node JS, Vue JS)
- Mobile application: IOS (Swift, Object C), Android (Kotlin, Android)
- System applications (Cobol, ERP, etc.),
- New Technology (Blockchain, etc.).
If you are considering offshore development, please feel free to contact us.
Here is our contact information.
Account Manager: Quan (Japanese/English available)
Phone number: (+84) 2462 900 388